Ścinawka Górna 40e
57-410 Ścinawka Górna
+48 74 814 34 16
Built on a rocky perch in the valley of River Ścinawka (German Steine), between Owl and Table Mountains, the main building of the historic castle and outbuildings in Sarny (German Scharfeneck) was erected in 1590. For most of its documented history it belonged to the wealthy and influential family of the Counts of Götzen, many of whom ran the County of Glatz (Polish Kłodzko) in the name of the Habsburg and Hohenzollern monarchs. The Götzens made Scharfeneck bloom, expanding the residence, adding a summer palace and, in the 18th century, building the St. John Nepomucene Chapel with its exquisite gigantic paintings.
In 1945, and with the name Scharfeneck replaced with Sarny, the historic compound became property of the Polish state, which turned it into a collaborative farm. After communism ended in 1989 and such farms were disbanded, the castle fell into disrepair and by the 2010s had come to the brink of collapse.
In late 2013 Poland sold Sarny Castle to a group of Warsaw-based lawyers who founded a charitable trust to take care of the property. In 2014, with financial help from the local government of Lower Silesia, the castle’s 17th-century granary was given a new roof. Also that year, work was done to prevent the main building from falling apart. A complex renovation of the gatehouse began as did planning work.
Sarny Castle is now a place of high culture.
The gatehouse was completely refurbished and opened in May 2017 as a luxury café and the gateway to Sarny Castle.